Keeping our students and staff safe at school is a top priority. We partner with the Bellingham Police Department to provide a District Resource Officer who works closely with all schools to serve as the liaison for police support when needed. Bellingham Public Schools coordinates with all local emergency responders to ensure our procedures and plans for fire, earthquake, lockdowns and other drills are current and reflect best practices for student safety. Jonah Stinson is our director of school safety and emergency management. He can be contacted at 676-6532.
During an emergency:
- Do not call the school or district office (keep working lines open for emergency personnel)
- Do not attempt to go to your child’s school until it is safe to do so
- Call the Emergency Hotline at 676-6400 if phones are working
- Turn on your radio and TV for updates
- KAFE Radio (104.1 FM)
- KOMO Radio (1000 AM)
- KIRO Radio (710 AM)
- KOMO-TV (Channel 4)
- KING-TV (Channel 5)
- KIRO-TV (Channel 7)
- Check Twitter
Important Emergency Procedures for Parents/Guardians:
- While a lockdown is in progress, police have asked that we remind you that it is critically important not to come to the school. This puts you at risk if there is an issue occurring in the neighborhood and diverts police resources and attention from protecting the school. Instead, stay tuned for information from the district or local media.
- Every school has a designated off-site evacuation location and a parent reunification area. This would be used if police determine it is not safe to keep students on site due to a situation occurring in the school or area. If students and staff are being relocated to an off-site location, you will be notified through your SchoolMessenger contact preferences with instructions on where/how to reunite with your child. Off-site locations are not publicized in advance for safety reasons.
In the case of a true school emergency, we will call the primary phone number we have on file in Skyward Family Access and any other phone numbers you have added to SchoolMessenger.
- Please take a moment to ensure the accuracy of your contact information on file at your school. You can view this information in your Skyward Family Access account.
- If you need to update your contact preferences in SchoolMessenger for emergency and other types of messaging, please contact your school office.
Learn more about what Bellingham Public Schools is currently doing to keep students and staff safe.